|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Gravel Hill Plantation, Allendale County (off U.S. Hwy. 301, Allendale vicinity)
|Facade||Left Elevation||Left Rear Oblique|
Gravel Hill Plantation is important not only as an example of Greek Revival architecture, but also as one of the few remaining plantations of the Buddenville area. In the first half of the nineteenth century Buddenville was a “region inhabited by large planters and land owners where wealth, affluence, culture and high standards of living were reflected in palatial homes and surroundings. Gravel Hill is one of the few structures in the Buddenville area that was not destroyed during the Civil War. Gravel Hill is a two-story white frame Greek Revival structure set upon a raised basement. Benjamin Lawton Willingham constructed this one-time plantation between 1857 and 1859. A gable roof and a one-story portico, which is supported by four wooden square columns, characterize the front fašade. Wooden balustrades both enclose and top the portico. A balustraded piazza with five small columns extends along the east fašade. A raised terrace connecting the front portico and side piazza was added ca. 1900, and the foundation was enclosed with cement ca. 1955. Two small wings have also been added to the building. The property also includes a two-story frame smokehouse. Listed in the National Register May 28, 1976.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.