|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Zubly Cemetery, Aiken County (Forrest Dr., Beech Island)
|Gate Entrance||West Wall|| Helena Holmes
| Johnathan Meyer
| David and Ann
Established ca. 1790 by the Swiss settlers of New Windsor Township, the Zubly Cemetery is significant as an example of a typical early to mid-nineteenth century cemetery illustrating vernacular burial customs of the period. It is the most important extant historic resource associated with the New Windsor community, a significant late-eighteenth to early-nineteenth century settlement and frontier outpost in the South Carolina backcountry. Settled in 1737 by prominent families from Appenzell and Toggenburg, Switzerland, New Windsor became an outpost for Indian traders. By 1750, New Windsor’s importance as a trading center was eclipsed by the neighboring city of Augusta, just across the Savannah River in Georgia, and the township declined further still after the Revolution. The Zubly Cemetery’s earliest marked graves date from this phase of New Windsor’s history. There are fifty-eight marked graves. The oldest marked grave is dated 1798 and the most recent burial is from 1983. Gravestones, most of them marble, vary from table-top tombs and other flat markers to upright tablets and obelisks. The cemetery is enclosed by a brick wall and an iron gate allows access. Listed in the National Register January 28, 2002.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.