South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Salley Historic District, Aiken County (bounded by Pine, Ferguson, Poplar & Aldrich Sts., Salley)
S1081770203201 S1081770203202 S1081770203203 S1081770203204 S1081770203205
321 Railroad Ave. Henry D. Salley
293 Railroad Ave.
Weeks House
283 Railroad Ave.
Ernest Jones House
112 Dogwood St.
Corbitt House
235 Railroad Ave.
S1081770203206 S1081770203207 S1081770203208 S1081770203209 S1081770203210
Henry Sawyer House
Brown and
Dogwood Sts.
Locust and
Wagener Sts.
George Sawyer House
161 Brown St.
Servant's House
Locust St.
Salley House
124 Pine St.
S1081770203211 S1081770203212 S1081770203213 S1081770203214 S1081770203215
Hollman House
137 Pine St.
Herbert O.
Jones, Sr. House
166 Pine St.
Salley Baptist Church
Pine St.
Salley Grammar
and High School
Pine St.
Salley High
School Auditorium
Pine St.
S1081770203216 S1081770203217 S1081770203218 S1081770203219 S1081770203220
Salley-Wade House
269 Pine St.
Apartment Buidling
Pine St.
Haskell M. Salley
181 Pine St.
Salley United
Methodist Church
Pine St.
H. Briggs
Salley House
153 Pine St.
S1081770203221 S1081770203222 S1081770203223 S1081770203224 S1081770203225
Sharpe House
Pine St.
Martin House
110 Porter St.
Dr. Kennerly's
111 Magnolia St.
Bank of Salley-
Bank of
Western Carolina
Railroad Ave.
Salley Gin Co.-
D. C. Kennerly
Railroad Ave.

Page 1 of 3 Next

Salley is historically significant as a commercial and transportation center for agricultural goods during the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. Salley is also representative of rural community life in South Carolina during this period. The town’s architecture is characteristic of the economic boom which took place in many such railroad towns during the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. While most of the residential and commercial architecture in the Salley Historic District is vernacular in character, some surviving examples represent more widely stylistic influences such as Victorian, Colonial Revival, and Bungalow. There are 99 contributing and 51 non-contributing resources within the district. The district consists primarily of one- to two-story masonry commercial buildings and one- to two-story residential weatherboard buildings built between the town’s incorporation in 1887 and 1949. Possibly as early as 1735, British colonials arrived in the area upon which the town of Salley developed. The present-day town formed during the decade of the 1880s on a 1,000-acre plantation located two miles southeast of John Town. D. H. Salley, the plantation’s owner and a member of the South Carolina General Assembly, had become aware of plans for railroad transportation of kaolin from a mine in nearby Sievern. He laid out a plan of streets and avenues, and also established the first school in the area on his property. He successfully negotiated the train’s path through his land and later secured incorporation papers for the community of Salley. Listed in the National Register October 27, 2000.

View a map showing the boundaries of the Salley Historic District.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.

Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.