South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Crossways, Aiken County (450 E. Boundary St., Aiken)
S1081770203001 S1081770203002 S1081770203003 S1081770203004 S1081770203005
Facade Right Oblique Right Elevation Right Elevation
Rear Elevation
S1081770203006 S1081770203007 S1081770203008 S1081770203009 S1081770203010
Left Rear
Left Front
Main Entrance Interior
East Room
Entrance Hall
S1081770203011 S1081770203012 S1081770203013    
Dining Room
2nd Floor
2nd Floor
West Bedroom

(Henry Place) Crossways, built before 1860, is an excellent example of the architectural evolution of a residence from its beginnings as the main house on an antebellum Barnwell District plantation to its use as a late nineteenth and early twentieth-century winter residence, part of the Aiken Winter Colony. Little is known about the property before the Civil War, but James L. Derby, a New York publisher and partner in the Aiken Land Improvement Company purchased Crossways in 1868. Mr. Derby is partially responsible for the creation of the Winter Colony in Aiken. The residence is a two-story plantation house which exhibits elements of the Greek Revival and Victorian styles. The trees and brick entrance pillars still stand and the drive, now a street named Crossways Place, has bungalows on both sides. The original house was two stories with three twenty feet by twenty feet rooms each. All six rooms also featured fireplaces and hardwood floors. A one story addition was added to the south or back side between ca. 1865 and ca. 1900; soon after the turn of the twentieth century the addition was expanded to two stories and included a thirty-three foot long dining room with fireplace, a kitchen and service facilities. The entire exterior is horizontal weatherboard, with brick pier foundations and a crimped metal cross-gabled roof. Listed in the National Register June 4, 1997.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.

Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.