|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
The Cedars, Aiken County (U.S. Hwy. 278, Beech Island)
|Facade||Left Oblique||Right Elevation||Rear Elevation|| Front Porch
(Ardis House; Atkinson House) The Cedars complex is significant because it is an unusual combination of two wholly distinct architectural styles, the simple vernacular and the ornate folk Victorian. The later addition represents the changing social status of the owner at that time, Edward Heyward Atkinson, a local farmer, businessman and community leader in Beech Island. Built by Abram Ardis, Jr., around 1825, the original core of The Cedars main residence was a two-story, three bay, frame and weatherboard structure with no exterior embellishment with the principle entrance on the east elevation. Edward Heyward Atkinson, who doubled the size of the original building, built the second stage around 1908-1910. This two-story addition was built onto the south elevation of the original house and was faced with a one-story, full-width porch. The property is also significant because of three contributing agricultural outbuildings: a weatherboard barn with a standing seam metal roof, an early twentieth century frame tenant house covered with board and batten siding (a two room house, it is one remaining of the three that originally stood on the property), and a smokehouse. The complex of house and outbuildings represent and codify the changing agricultural practices of rural Aiken County from 1850 to 1925. Listed in the National Register June 17, 1993.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.