|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Whitehall, Aiken County (902 Magnolia St., Aiken)
|Facade||Left Oblique||Left Elevation||Right Oblique|| Right Front
| Right Wing
|Portico Detail||Main Entrance|
Whitehall was constructed ca. 1928 for Colonel Robert McCormick, one of the owners of the Chicago Tribune. The house was designed by Willis Irvin of Augusta, who won a Gold Medal for Domestic Work at the 1929 Southern Architectural Exhibition with its design. It is believed that some of the ornate interior woodwork came form the home of John C. Calhoun’s daughter. Whitehall gets its name form the old Whitehall estate on the ruins of which this house was constructed. Whitehall is a one-story, brick, U-shaped, Georgian Revival residence. Each of the three sections has a gabled roof. The two projecting wings are pedimented and have a boxed cornice with block modillions, round vents and Doric pilasters at the corners. The central section features a pedimented Doric portico sheltering a central entrance with a semicircular fanlight and sidelights. A Doric entablature extends across the central section. Fenestration is regular six over six with dentiled architraves. Listed in the National Register November 27, 1984.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of the Aiken Winter Colony, ca. 1884-ca. 1941 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.