|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
St. Thaddeus Episcopal Church, Aiken County (Pendleton & Richland Sts., Aiken)
|Facade||Left Elevation||Rear Elevation||Right Rear Oblique||Portico Detail|
Although St. Thaddeus Episcopal Church has been important in the history of the town of Aiken since its construction ca. 1842, it is also important for its association with the Aiken Winter Colony. Many of the Winter Colonists belonged to the congregation of St. Thaddeus and contributed generously to its “restoration” in 1926. The changes made to St. Thaddeus reflect the wealth and sophistication of its congregation during the Winter Colony era and illustrate the impact of the Winter Colony community. The church was extensively remodeled in 1926 according to the design of Albert Simons of Charleston. Originally a simple frame, weatherboarded building, St. Thaddeus is now stuccoed and has Greek Revival proportions. The three-bay fašade features a pedimented Doric portico that shelters the central, double-door entrance. The entrance features a transom and shelf architrave and is flanked by secondary entrances with transoms and similar architraves. The church has a gable roof surmounted by a one-stage, inset steeple with spire and cross. The nominated property includes the church cemetery. Listed in the National Register November 27, 1984.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of the Aiken Winter Colony, ca. 1884-ca. 1941 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.