South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Coker Spring, Aiken County (Coker Spring Rd., Aiken)
S1081770201001 S1081770201002 S1081770201003 S1081770201004 S1081770201005
Prior to
Excavation, 1972
Excavated
Spring, 1972
Excavation
in Progress, 1972
Coker Spring,
ca. 1880
Coker Spring,
ca. 1880
S1081770201006 S1081770201007      
Restored Spring
Overview, ca. 1978
Restored Spring
ca. 1978

Coker Spring is a fresh water spring. Archeological remains found near this property suggest that this was probably a water supply for prehistoric Indians. The spring later served as the source of drinking water for the early settlers of Aiken (ca. 1830-1890). The spring is covered by a springhouse, which is constructed of brick, covered with stucco. The front fašade features a pedimented entranceway with a wide entablature. Stuccoed brick retaining walls extend along the left and right sides of the springhouse. The first recorded owner of Coker Spring was Ephraim Franklin who obtained the spring as part of a 285-acre land grant in 1787. Apparently the spring then changed hands several times. The spring gained prominence as a regular stop on the stagecoach route from Abbeville to Charleston, and also as the major source of drinking water for the town of Aiken which had been chartered in 1835. Eventually, however, the spring fell into ruin. Listed in the National Register January 18, 1978.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.


Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.