|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Chancellor James P. Carroll House, Aiken County (112 Gregg Ave., Aiken)
|Facade||Right Oblique||Rear Elevation|| Interior
Living Room Mantel
Constructed ca. 1855, the Chancellor Carroll House was built by James Parsons Carroll, Chancellor of South Carolina and a noted attorney. The property on which Carroll built this structure (probably as a summer residence) was purchased from William Gregg, the important textile manufacturer. During the twentieth century (the late 1920s until his death) architect Willis Irvin, who designed several noted structures in Aiken, owned the house. James P. Carroll was elected to the South Carolina House of Representatives in 1838. He served in the South Carolina Senate between 1853 and 1854 and was re-elected to that body in 1858. In 1859 he was elected Chancellor of the Court of Equity and remained in that position until 1868, when the office was abolished by the new state constitution. Carroll also served as a delegate to the Secession Convention and signed the Ordinance of Secession. This one and one-half story clapboard structure features a one-story piazza with six square columns and simple balustrades. The central section is flanked by recessed side wings which were added in the 1930s; at that time the original kitchen was adjoined to the left side, and a balancing wing added to the right side. The rear fašade has a double entrance door with fanlight and sidelights. Although the Chancellor Carroll house has been altered through the years to meet the contemporary needs of its owners, the original fabric of the house has remained primarily intact. Listed in the National Register November 23, 1977.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.