|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Dawson-Vanderhorst House, Aiken County (jct. of Wire & New Bridge Rds., Aiken vicinity)
|Facade||Left Oblique||Left Rear Oblique|
(New Bridge Farm; Richardson Place) The Dawson-Vanderhorst House is one of the oldest homes standing in Aiken County. In 1785 Charles Richmond acquired the property by grant. Architectural analysis suggests that very soon thereafter this structure was built. In 1812 Richmond deeded to his wife Susannah the plantation and it appears that since that time the house has been continuously occupied. Outstanding architectural features indicative of this being a late 18th or early 19th Century structure include the original shutters with hand-wrought strap hinges, the gable ends of the roof with no overhang, and the siding on the dormers which parallels the roof line. Also indicative of early construction are the simple mantles, square headed nails, mortise and tenon construction and the hand-hewn lumber. The house is a one and one-half story clapboard structure with a gabled roof covered with tin. A one-story porch extends the length of the front fašade, and a porch extends across a portion of the rear. Both front and rear entrances feature double doors with five-paned transoms and no sidelights. There are a total of four chimneys, two being attached to the sides of the rear additions, and two extending through the gable roof. The structure is essentially in its original state. Although the rear extensions are not thought to be part of the original structure, it is presumed that they were added shortly after the main portion of the house was completed. There are also several outbuildings (not original) located to the rear of the house. Listed in the National Register June 29, 1976.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.