South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Rosemary Hall, Aiken County (804 Carolina Ave., North Augusta)
S1081770200501 S1081770200502 S1081770200503 S1081770200504 S1081770200505
Facade Right Oblique Right Elevation Rear Elevation Left Rear
S1081770200506 S1081770200507 S1081770200508 S1081770200509 S1081770200510
Left Elevation Left Oblique Column Detail Main Entrance Foundation
S1081770200511 S1081770200512 S1081770200513 S1081770200514 S1081770200515
Ceiling with
Light Fixture
Window with
Dentil Moulding
Stained Glass
Second Story

(J.U. Jackson House) An example of Beaux Arts architecture, Rosemary Hall was built ca. 1900-1902 by James Urquhart Jackson, founder of North Augusta and an influential leader in the growth and development of the town during the first decades of its existence. Befitting Jackson’s prominence in the community, the structure has elaborate architectural details, including twelve fluted Corinthian columns supporting a wide entablature accented by a frieze of acanthus leaves, Italian colored glass used in the fanlights and sidelights, and rosemary pine paneling throughout the interior. The two-story white clapboard house surmounts a low brick foundation. The front fašade is highlighted by a wide L-shaped verandah that extends across the front and down the left elevation. Twelve fluted Corinthian columns support a wide entablature accented by a frieze of acanthus leaves. A rectangular window bordered in colored glass and framed by scrollwork accents the porch pediment. Formerly shingled, the tin roof is punctuated by corbel-capped chimneys. As president of the North Augusta Hotel Company, Jackson was influential in the construction of the Hampton Terrace Hotel, a distinguished winter resort that was built in 1903 and attracted such notable guests as John D. Rockefeller and William Howard Taft. As founder and president of the North Augusta Land Company, Jackson directed the purchasing of the land and the laying out of the streets upon which North Augusta developed, leading to the town’s incorporation in 1906. Listed in the National Register April 28, 1975.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.

Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.