|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Fort Moore-Savano Town Site, Aiken County (Address Restricted)
|Site Overview||Site Detail|
The site of Fort Moore-Savano Town was strategic in the relations between the government of the Colony of South Carolina and a number of powerful Indian groups located along and west of the Savannah River. Indian groups associated with the town and fort include the Savano, Creek, Yuchi, Cherokee and Chickasaw. The Savano Indians occupied the bluff prior to the arrival of traders, and remained until shortly after 1716, when the fort was constructed. The construction of Fort Moore at Savano Town along with construction of the Congaree Fort near the present city of Columbia was a step toward not only the control of the Indian groups in the interior, but toward the attempted monopoly of the southern skin trade. The fort served as a military deterrent even though some fighting took place. Its presence may have prevented intervention by French or Spanish controlled Indian groups. The settlement of Augusta on the west side of the Savannah River marked the end of Fort Moore as a controlling factor in the skin trade and the fort was abandoned in 1763. Little is known about the original appearance of the Fort Moore-Savano Indian town other than the limited view provided by the archaeologist form the soil, supplemented by a few oblique documentary references to construction or conditions present during the period of occupation. Listed in the National Register August 14, 1973.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.