South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Lindsay Cemetery, Abbeville County (Lindsay Cemetery Rd, Due West Vicinity)
S1081770101201 S1081770101202 S1081770101203 S1081770101204 S1081770101205
Overview Main Gate
with Arch
Right Front
Right Rear
Left Rear
S1081770101206 S1081770101207 S1081770101208 S1081770101209 S1081770101210
Left Center
Left Center
John Murphy, Sr.
Joseph Pratt
Sophrina C. Pratt
S1081770101211 S1081770101212      
Rock Marked
John J. Simpson

Lindsay Cemetery, established ca. 1820, is significant as the first cemetery in the Due West vicinity of what was then Abbeville District, and for its association with seventeen prominent early families of Abbeville District (later Abbeville County), from the early through the late nineteenth centuries. It is also an excellent intact example of an early-nineteenth through early-twentieth century cemetery reflecting typical burial customs and gravestones of the period. Lindsay Cemetery contains approximately 107 graves with inscriptions, approximately sixty graves marked with stones or rocks, and an unknown number of unmarked graves. The marked graves are predominantly headstones and footstones, most of them marble tablets although obelisks and table-top tombs are also present. The earliest marked grave is from 1820 and the most recent marked grave is from 1927, but most graves date from 1829 to 1892. The stones are arranged for the most part by nuclear or extended family units within the cemetery boundaries, but without formal stone, brick, or iron plot enclosures. The cemetery is enclosed by an elaborate four-foot high cast iron fence featuring Gothic pointed arches, spearpointed top rail, and large floral finials decorating its four corners. Listed in the National Register May 27, 2009.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.

Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.