South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Donalds Grange No. 497, Abbeville County (S.C. Hwy. 184, Donalds)
S1081770101101 S1081770101102 S1081770101103 S1081770101104 S1081770101105
Facade Right Oblique Right Rear Oblique Rear Elevation Left Rear Oblique
S1081770101106 S1081770101107 S1081770101108    
Left Elevation Detail of Roof Eave Detail of Stone Work

The Donalds Grange No. 497 is significant for both its architecture and its contribution to the social development of the community of Donalds and Abbeville County. Constructed in 1935 by local Works Progress Administration labor, the building served originally as the Town Hall, the local grange, and the public library. Typical of the vernacular style used in WPA public buildings, it is relatively unaltered. The fieldstone construction and locally produced lumber give evidence of the participation of local labor in the construction. After 1940, it was the home of the grange and the library. In 1942, Donalds Grange No. 497 sponsored the Abbeville County Circulating Library, and the building became headquarters for the Abbeville County system until a self-contained library was built on adjacent property in 1959. Since its construction, the well-preserved fieldstone building has been the meeting hall for the agricultural and community-service organization known locally and most commonly as the Donalds Grange. It remains as an important example of Depression Era public buildings. Listed in the National Register January 9, 1995.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register Property.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.

Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.