|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Harbison College President's Home, Abbeville County (S.C. Hwy. 20, Abbeville vicinity)
|Facade||Right Oblique||Right Rear Oblique||Left Oblique|
The President’s Home of Harbison College is located in a residential area on the outskirts of Abbeville, South Carolina. The house is significant to black history and to education for its association with Harbison College, an institution of higher education for black students, which was established by the Presbyterian Church in the United State of America. The two-story brick four-square house was built in 1906-07 to serve as the residence of the college president and is the only remaining building of the Abbeville campus of Harbison College. From its incorporation in 1901 until it moved from Abbeville in 1910, Harbison College was a co-educational institution offering a liberal arts education combined with religious, industrial, and agricultural training –one of the few such colleges for blacks in South Carolina. The President’s Home of Harbison College is situated on the crest of a ridge on a three-acre tract of land that was part of the original 65-acre Harbison College campus. A large front yard separates the house from South Carolina Highway 20. Several outbuildings, including a brick privy contemporary to the house, are located in the back yard. Listed in the National Register January 13, 1983.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register Property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.