South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Erskine College-Due West Historic District, Abbeville County (Due West)
S1081770100801 S1081770100802 S1081770100803 S1081770100804 S1081770100805
Euphemian Literary
Society Hall
Erskine College Quad
Erskine Building
Erskine College Quad
Philomathean Literary
Society Hall
Erskine College Quad
Men's Infirmary
Erskine College Campus
Student Cabin
Erskine College Campus
S1081770100806 S1081770100807 S1081770100808 S1081770100809 S1081770100810
Carnegie Hall Dormitory
Woman's College Circle
Alumnae Memeorial Hall
Woman's College Circle
A. R. P. Printing
Bonner St.
Due West
A. P. R. Church and Cemetery
E. Main St. and Church St.
Galloway House
W. Main St.
S1081770100811 S1081770100812 S1081770100813 S1081770100814 S1081770100815
Lesesne House
W. Main St.
Clinkscales House
W. Main St.
Clinkscales-Pruitt House
W. Main St. and Abbeville St.
Lindsay-Bell House
Abbeville St.
Brownlee-Huntley House
Abbeville St.
S1081770100816 S1081770100817 S1081770100818 S1081770100819  
Bell-Mitchell House
Abbeville St. and Cleveland St.
Edward-Strong House
Cleveland St. and College St.
Bonner-Burrows House
Hayne St.
Todd-Young House
Washington St.

The Erskine College-Due West Historic District, located in the small town of Due West in Abbeville County, South Carolina, consists of eighty-eight properties, which as a unit illustrate the development of the village and Erskine College from ca. 1840 to 1930. Included in the district are portions of the campus of Erskine College, the first four-year denominational college in the state. The college was founded in 1839 by the Synod of the Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church, whose early congregation played a large role in the formation of the village and college. Also included in the district are a residential section, containing many properties either at one time or presently associated with the college, and a commercial area. The varied architectural styles include Queen Anne, Neo-Classical, Greek Revival, Renaissance Revival, and bungalows, and their designs reveal an evolution of architecture from the early years of the area’s settlement to the early twentieth century. Most of the buildings in the district have been in continuous use. Listed in the National Register March 19, 1982.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register Property.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.

Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.